How do you renew your license?
There are several ways to renew your license, once you know when it expires. Note that you can only renew a license 90 days before it expires or within two years after it expires.
- Renew via the FCC website. The easiest way to renew your license is by using the FCC License Manager System 90 days or less before your license expires. Point your web browser to https://www.fcc.gov/universal-licensing-system.
- Click on Filing -> File Online, and then sign in to your FCC account. If you don’t already have an FCC account, you’ll have to set one up.
- Enter your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password into the appropriate text boxes, then click “SUBMIT.”
- On the “My Licenses” page, click the “Renew Licenses” link. You will then be able to select which license you want to renew.
- You will be prompted by the FCC’s system to make a payment of $35 to renew your license for the new 10-year term. The FCC began collecting license fees on April 19, 2022, in accordance with federal law set by Congress. You will have 10 days to make payment to the FCC before it removes your renewal application.
- Renew via mail.
You can renew by mail by sending FCC Forms 605 and 159 directly to the FCC. Download Form 605 for the renewal by going to https://www.fcc.gov/fcc-form-605 and fill it out. You also will need to include Form 159 for your payment. Download Form 159 and its instructions here: https://www.fcc.gov/licensing-databases/fees/fcc-remittance-advice-form-159. Form 159 must accompany your $35 payment for the renewal. Include your check with both forms and mail to: FCC, 1270 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg PA 17325-7245. Note that it may take the FCC several weeks to process your change or renewal.
Note that you can renew your license even if it has already expired—as long as it hasn’t been more than two years since your license expired. Simply renew using one of the procedures above.
Up-To-Date FCC Call Sign Information
Try connecting to the following call sign servers:
FCC: FCC-Universal-Licensing-System (search licenses)